Sunday, November 22, 2009

discovering search engines

Had a look at Google, Yahoo, Bing and Exalead. The first search I did was for the topic 'Maori archives' and Google gave me the best results, particularly in the timeline. It gave an excellent overview starting from the Treaty of Waitangi showing how Maori archives began to evolve. The initial results from Yahoo were not as good( they seemed to be more commercial) but when you clicked on to their 'related concepts' a list of good search options came up. This also happened in Yahoo with my other search for information about manuka honey. However, Google gave the most accessible results and for manuka honey I used the wonder wheel which gave good search alternatives. I'm not mentioning Exalead because I didn't really enjoy using it.
I found the site a bit messy and uninviting.

No comments: