Thursday, October 22, 2009

keeping your privacy

Privacy is always something that has concerned me regarding information put on the internet. With Facebook I always reminded my daughter that anything she put on for her friends could be accessed by an even wider circle. There are sites like Amazon and Trademe where I am happy using my credit card and others where if there is any doubt,I don't use.
In the library if patrons have asked about different sites and whether they are safe I tell them about the purpose of it and who it can be accessed by and then I feel they need to make their own decisions. When it comes to their library accounts I remind them to keep their passwords safe so other people cannot (hopefully)make bookings on their Pharos account and use their time and money.
Netbasics was an excellent tutorial and it would be good for people getting their first computers to realise the importance of having safeguards against viruses etc. Once, at home our computer suddenly came up with red alert signals that our windows xp was in danger and to click on to their warning to save our data; so we ignored and shut down the computer but a friend of ours at his work, did click on and lost valuable data - as the warning was a virus.

No comments: